Thursday, October 18, 2012

Metaphorically Snapping


What IS that woman doing?

Did she drop something?
Is she picking up leaves?
Wait a minute....it's a little blurry..but....
I think she is puckering her lips....
OMG!
I believe she is gettin' ready to KISS THE GROUND!

Yep.



What a beautiful day.  Glistening leaves in the rain.  I felt like I was in a technicolor movie.


We went to the Monroe County Historical Society and saw some very cool old pictures and read some history about Bloomington at the "Bloomington, Then and Now exhibit".
A book will be coming out soon with old pics transposed over new ones, or vise-versa.
I  will post some of those sometime...it was difficult to good pics OF pics at the exhibit.
But the concept is great... especially since I have many times walked down a street...past a building or what was once a different building or home...and 'felt' a twinge of something.
Knowing more of the history with PICTURES of what was once there can be confirming at times.

But here are some other cool little scenes you may enjoy:


 Old kitchen scene, including a "Hoosier Cabinet" that I unfortunately
 cut out of the picture :-/ but look at those aprons!


I love this one:


Here is an old switchboard...
as a kid, I always wanted to work on one of those, just like Julie Holiday in "Bell Are Ringing".

I have a laptop instead.

Log cabin with real Indiana logs...spinning wheel and very intricately decorated rocker and linens.
Sorry the pic does not do it justice.



Apothecary chest. I was thinking...if I was a pharmacist (druggist, back then)...in a past life...OR married to one, (more likely) in the late 1800's..this could have been mine.  I may have touched those bottles!
Bear with me, I get a little woo-woo with antiques. ;-)


 Here is a stuffed bear that was once in a department store in Bloomington of the 50's-60's.
I liked it because it reminds me of Jesse the Bear  in Northern Exposure.
Some fans out there?


Look at this view.  it's just a street....could be anywhere...but it took my breath away.
And it almost did, literally.  I stopped in the middle of the street to take this picture. ;-)



Here is a weak attempt at this a beautiful church window...the light and angle was not conducive to good snapping.



Here is another one that I could not catch the colors and shapes  very well.  BUT...if you look closely, you can see the reflection of the tree branches that were above/behind me as I snapped. 


  I thought that detail was interesting.
A reflection of what is behind me...projected before my eyes...onto/through the window, transforming it into something totally different, new, pleasantly surprising.

SO BE IT.



6 comments:

laura said...

WOW! The color is breathtaking and I have to ask....could your hair look any more glamorous? Beautiful!

I feel that way about antiques too. The aprons, the apothecary chest and the large wood bowl on the table would have been my favorites! I cannot believe the aprons are hanging that way! We just talked about this.

That window picture with the trees---a portal. What a great shot. The pics in this post are marvelous!

Joanie said...

Chris It's so beautiful... I can tell how happy you are..Love your blog..... Hope you saw what I wrote on your first one..... Enjoy..

Christine Marie said...

Laura, I knew you'd mention the aprons! Thanks for the compliment about my hair. It's ALWAYS a work in progress...or not. ;-)

Christine Marie said...

Joanie, yes...I am getting your comments!

W said...

totally cool/when will your new book come out? OMG the pictures are great,too-really, seriously,I could see this in book form

W said...

OMG I just now scrolled down to another part of your blog where u are talking about writing a book- just freaked myself out- hahahahaahahahah